As mentioned by Monica in another Meta question, there's an Ask a Question Wizard Prototype in the works that looks a bit like this:
To support this, we'll need some kind of a template set of questions or points to cover.
- What kind of question is this?
- Can you summarize your problem in one sentence?
- What is your role?
- What is your industry type?
- What have you tried before and why didn't this work?
In effect, we're wanting to guide people toward providing the necessary details into their question and lead them to being a little more structured in the way they ask. At the same time, we want to be welcoming and not scare people off by wordy workflow if at all possible.
There is a prototype of the Wizard on Stack Overflow that will give you the gist of how this looks (go take a look at it). Be aware, however, that completing the Wizard will post a new question on Stack Overflow (which you can of course delete).
Currently, the workflow is:
- What kind of question is this (bullet-pointed list)?
- Add tags
- Question title (then gives list of suggested questions with similar titles)
- The question itself
Each of these stages have yellow information blocks that helps guide the user toward the most appropriate level of detail.
Your comments here will be welcome