Derek Elkins left SE
I've decided to permanently stop contributing to all Stack Exchange sites as of 30 September 2019. I give more details here. The high-level reason is over the course of the last two years it has become completely apparent that Stack Exchange no longer sees its community as a partner. That means Stack Exchange is simply an exploiter of that community, and, worse, one that it treats with contempt.
It is commonly pointed out that contributions help people other than Stack Exchange too. I agree, and contributions in other venues and on other platforms will help people too. At this point, I don't think anyone should be contributing to Stack Exchange. If people arrive here with good questions and fail to get answers, they will simply move on to alternative platforms which is exactly what I'd want them to do.
It is possible for Stack Exchange to regain most of the trust lost, but that process is one of years from when they start the process, if they ever do. By that point, however, I will have quite thoroughly moved on.
Member for 4 years, 1 month
1 profile view
Last seen Oct 10 '19 at 17:15
- Mathematics 22.4k 22.4k 11 gold badge2121 silver badges4545 bronze badges
- Computer Science 11.6k 11.6k 11 gold badge2626 silver badges4141 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 6k 6k 11 gold badge1111 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2k 2k 99 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- The Workplace 800 800 66 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 85 Which way are downstream and upstream services?
- 63 Is Lambda Calculus purely syntactic?
- 43 What is a batch compiler?
- 36 Are category-theory and set-theory on the equal foundational footing?
- 35 Do we have to prove how parentheses work in the Peano axioms?
- 32 Why must a function with polymorphic type `forall t: Type, t->t` be the identity function?
- 29 Which insights are particularly simple to get through category theory?
- View more network posts →