Per the feedback in FAQ - What questions can I ask here I'd like to add the following Off Topic areas to the first part of our FAQ ASAP:
What questions are off topic here?
- "Which job should I take?"
- Questions asking which job/company/industry is "better" or which fits you best can't really be answered and can only be discussed. This is not a discussion forum, but a Question and Answer site.
- "Is it legal..."
- If a question requires a lawyer to answer it, we can't help. These situations are simply too specific and too complex to definitively answer on our site.
- "Please review my resume/CV"
- Questions need to apply to more than just you. Since this site is here to help everyone, and not review to a specific resume, these are not "questions" to us as they don't have definite answers.
- "How do I learn to be a..." / "How do I perform the job of a ..."
- Questions should be about problems you are encountering or have encountered in the workplace, and not the learning/applying of specific job functions.
I close a question from one of these categories almost every day (and across all mods I'm certain we close one or more a day). I think we need to work on getting some good wording to explain what is on topic, but I think we already have a great starting point for Off Topic stuff so I'd like to get this in immediately.
Vote if you approve/disapprove, and comment if you think it can be improved somehow.